Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Weekends and Wool

It's the weekend and I love lazy Saturdays and equally lazy Sundays.  Barbecues are the norm in our household, particularly because the weather is so lovely most of the year.  Mr Big likes his wooden  "resting board" prepped and ready aka Jamie Oliver so that his meat, fresh from the fire may sit and recline a bit prior to carving.

I normally gather up a sprig of all the garden herbs I can find, parsley, rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, etc and finely chop with the zest of fresh lemon and a de-seeded ripe red chili (because you want warmth and interest but not intense heat).  Add a splash of the freshly squeezed lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil, then work the whole lot into the wood with your fingertips.  That's right, smear it all over the board.  Sprinkle with a grind of rock salt and black peppercorns and the board is ready to receive the perfectly-cooked steak or chops or chicken to rest.
Try it, it makes all the difference


My sweet grandchildren with their latest knitted Hoody Sweaters.  I just love having these little warm offerings on my needles and in between crochet time, I imagine the different colour combinations.  (Wonderful when you have the odd ball of coloured yarn leftover from various other projects!).   They knit up in no time at all and before I know it, they are off my needles and in the post with some sweeties and a Disney magazine or two as a treat.
(Note to self:  Josh is shooting up like a beanstalk - I need to make the 8 year old pattern a tad longer in the sleeve as well as body)

  Unfortunately I cannot share the pattern as it is copyrighted, but if you click on the link above, you will find where to purchase it.  Well worth it!

I tried quinoa (high in protein) in a layered lunchtime salad instead of couscous (high in carbs) and it was as healthy as well as it was delicious.
If you haven't tried it before, purchase a packet (looks like couscous grains) from your nearest health food shop or good supermarket and follow the instructions to prepare.  Simple - I make up a batch and keep it over for something else during the week, hot or cold.  You should try it warmed up with a veg and bean curry!


Don't you love the tablecloth?  I got it for a song at one of our local supermarkets because it reminded me of Cath Kidstone's typical colouring, but at a fraction of the price.

I love quick and easy over the weekend because there's much yarny business to attend to.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Mr Big has turned you into his sous chef! Does he takes all the flavoursome meat glory for himself too??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sam, afraid so. In the manner of all men he does. I might get a nod in the salad direction (ha ha)

      Delete