Friday, September 26, 2014

The Owl and the Pussycat













I cannot remember when it was exactly that I fell in love with the idea of going to sea, simply because I do not have salt water in my blood. Not a drop!  I have never "messed about in boats" nor have I ever had any attraction to the beach!  If truth be told, I am a Shopping Mall kind of gal, a sit quietly and knit somewhere in a slow café with a good cup of Java kind of gal...





No, (sadly) this is NOT our boat, but it is one of the reasons I will "brave" the ocean...





Perhaps it was the Boat Show we attended one fine summer day.  Perhaps it was that and the heady mix of watching beguiling episodes of the Shards sailing romantically to far-flung places on  their TV series, 'Distant Shores', that started the dream?


Who knows what, but there you have it.  It happened so suddenly that Darling Hubby and I rushed home to count whatever was countable in the countinghouse (if you know what I mean), to dream and plan, and chat and Google and read sailing blogs and then "finance fiddle" some more!  We began to talk in sailing terms,  referring to the "head" and not "toilet", well you get the picture...

We plan to sail away, one fine day, for longer than a "year and a day" but, in the meantime, our preliminary preparation plans include all sorts of things such as attending an Offshore Sailing Academy, which will entail us both earning our Yacht Hand/ Yacht Skipper SAS Certification and the first Marine Radio (VHF) license.  I am also under advisement from Captain Hubby to "curb my yarn-buying addiction" unless I plan to knit/crochet/gobble it all up in the next couple of years or so?   Whilst all yarn lovers know that this is impossible, out of the question... and little does he know, but I have a PLAN, a really clever plan for my stash.  Be ready to read all about it as I get inspired to share.



Ahhhh.... C'est la vie!  Or should I say 'Sail la vie'?



The Owl and the Pussy-Cat

1812–1888 Edward Lear      

 
The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
   In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
   Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
   And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love,
    What a beautiful Pussy you are,
         You are,
         You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment